This One Goes Out …April 11, 2011 at 12:01 am | Posted in Family, Transylvania | 22 Comments
Tags: Balance, Birthday, Blessings, Challenges, Children, Fatherhood, Kids, Life, Parenting, Travel
This one goes out to the one I love. Who is, at this very moment, buckled in his window seat, finishing off a single-serving bottle of wine (probably red), eating the mystery meat, and savoring his one hot towel.
The one I love? Is on his way to Romania.
It’s the last day I’ll see him for a while. And it’s the first day of our family’s greatest adventure. We sent him off with drawings, cards, photos, videos, and favorite snacks. With lots of hugs and a few tears. With reminders to find us a castle to live in (from the kids) and to not drink the water until he’s sure it’s okay (from me).
And I’ve got one more going-away present. My annual birthday list. It’s made up of items I’ve collected throughout the year in the mental filing cabinet labeled “Marriage” — little ways he’s helped out or made me laugh or solved a problem or saved the day. It’s my way of saying, “I love you. I appreciate you. And I’m glad you change poopy diapers.”
But this year, it’s my way of saying something else: “Thanks, babe. For helping me find the courage to embrace this adventure. For reminding me I have the strength to go it alone for a while. And for believing the year ahead of us will be nothing less than incredible.”
So, here are some of my favorites from this year’s list. It goes out to him, the one I love with my whole heart (and the one who will owe me a few hundred diaper changes when I see him next).
Why I Love You — 2011
1. When I text, “Come home; bring dinner,” you text back: “On my way.”
2.You’re never surprised (or upset) to find that the camera card is not actually in the camera.
3. You always listen, even when you don’t know what to say.
4. You brave the garbage-disposal muck to fish out whatever I dropped down there.
5. You make all the phone calls I don’t want to make.
6. You use words like magicjack, slingbox, and freeware in everyday conversation.
7. You have a screwdriver, a battery, and a hard drive for everything.
8. You secured passports for three pint-sized world travelers.
9. You make an exquisite fruit-and-cheese platter.
10. You play CandyLand (and enjoy it).
11. You could win a gold medal for fastest car seat installation.
12. You make me smile. Every. Single. Day.
What little things do you love about your significant other? Have you shared them? And who fishes stuff out of the garbage disposal at your house?